Sunday 22 July 2012

Week 12

Miles walked: 419.25


It's been raining here for nearly a month without a single day of sun, and apparently this is "the little rainy season." In just 20 days we've received 730mm of rain, which is almost as much as Toronto's annual rainfall (800mm) This is not surprising since Tortuguero's annual rainfall is about 5000mm. 


The view from our room

The flooded boat dock

A group from Fleming college has been at the station since July5th with their director Josh Feltham, a COTERC board member. They made this video, so you can really see what the rain is like here: http://vimeo.com/46129539


Other than the constant rain, we've been getting lots of turtles every night - mostly greens and even a hawksbill nest last night. Getting to see nesting turtles makes walking for four hours in the pouring rain worth it in the end. Unfortunately, we had another poached green turtle yesterday - just the shell and the head were left on the beach. I'll spare you guys the gruesome pictures this week, but it was very hard for me to see this just before I leave the station. Part of me wants to stay here to continue working on the marine turtle monitoring project, but another part of me misses home a lot. Just thinking about leaving the station gives me so many mixed emotions.I feel so torn - I will miss Cano Palma so much but I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends and being able to wear dry clothing again. I'll try to squeeze another blog in before I leave (July 28th)- until then, hasta luego!




In other news, Cano Palma now has a facebook page! Please like them and spread the word around https://www.facebook.com/CanoPalmaBiologicalStation 





No comments:

Post a Comment