Friday 27 July 2012

Week 13

Total Miles Walked: 436! (702 km)

That's it everyone! Last night was my final night walk, and luckily we saw a green and a hawksbill come up within a few metres of eachother. Our patrol also set the record for longest time waiting on a turtle - 6 hours waiting for one hawksbill to nest (which she didn't end up doing in the end). Since it's been raining so much, she attempted to dig 7 different egg chambers, all of which were filled with water. When she finally gave up, I had a silent goodbye to the last turtle I'll see this summer (though after 6 hours, it was easy to say goodbye).

It's kind of bittersweet to be leaving Cano Palma after three months - there's things I won't really miss (like the mosquitoes and the rain) but I know I'll be missing this place the minute I get on the boat to leave. I'm extremely sad but also excited for what lies ahead. Kirstin and I are leaving the station at 5am tomorrow, and then heading down to Quepos/Manuel Antonio, Montezuma and possibly Monteverde until we come back to Canada on August 6th. 

My last week here wouldn't be complete without the following:

  • the six- hour hawksbill halfmoon
  • waiting for the six hour halfmoon in a tropical storm
  • walking the beach in the light of the moon watching fireflies, lightning, bio-luminescent sand,  and shooting stars
  • almost stepping on a strawberry poison dart frog 
  • having white-faced capuchins watch me in the shower (I felt violated)
  • having spider monkeys in the trees above while I shower (though they didn't stare, they're not as perverted as the capuchins)


No comments:

Post a Comment